WordPress – /wp-admin/post.php page goes blank when you try to edit a post and save it 12

I’ve been facing a strange problem in WordPress. When I try to edit a post and then save it the page /wp-admin/post.php goes blank, the post was saved though.

However I could go back to the Admin and access other menus normally.

It happened when I moved my blog from one host to another.

First I thought it might be file permission problem but it turned out not to be a file permissions problem.

With Internet search and some debugging I discovered that All in SEO plugin was causing problem which I discovered by disabling all the plugin and enabling them one by one.

Updated on 24-Nov-11

When I posted this problem I didn’t realize that there are many people out there facing similar issues. I’ve moved hundreds of blogs between hosts since then but I never faced this problem again.

But looking at the comments below it seems it is a common problem.

So I’m providing few more tips on solving this issue.

If you see the page goes blank after updating or posting a new post then the first thing you have to do is to do soul searching on what exactly you changed in the past.

1) Did you move your blog from one host to another?

If you have moved the blog from one host to another then the problem might be with the extra lines after the closing ?> tag in the php files.

To check it, open all the php files in root folder in any text editor/Dreamweaver place cursor after ?> and press and hold DEL key on your keyboard till you see nothing is getting deleted. This will clear out any extra spaces or lines.

Do it for the theme files as well.

If this doesn’t solve the problem then you need to find any script which can clear out extra spaces/lines after closing ?>

I don’t know any such script but you can find it easily by Googling

2) Plugins

There might be some plugin causing this problem, or some files in the plugin causing this issue. The actual cause might be moving blog from one host to another or some corruption during plugin update or WordPress update.

The solution is to disable all plugins and enable them one by one and check for the problem till you find the culprit plugin.

You can remove the culprit plugin and re install it.

To sump up this is not a very serious issue and it is more or less file corruption. So keep your head cool and sort it out with above instructions.

12 thoughts on “WordPress – /wp-admin/post.php page goes blank when you try to edit a post and save it

1. Reply Blog Geek Mar 16,2010 1:20 pm

thank you so much! 😉

2. Reply Melissa Cleaver Apr 12,2010 8:12 am

Thanks so much for your wisdom! I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what happened and as soon as I deactivated this, it worked! Thanks again!

3. Reply Inksaint Apr 21,2010 6:45 pm

I am having the same problem too, only it is likely a result of the something I did to the functions.php. I am sure whoever wrote All in SEO plugin made a similar mistake and that is what is causing the problem. I am not skilled enough to be able to pinpoint the issue or even scan my code to look for the error because most of it was based off of tutorials – so my understanding is basic. It would be great to know if there is a common oversight in php code that might be causing this issue. Something specific I should be looking for…?

4. Reply misterioaqo May 17,2010 6:59 pm

thank you so much! great!!

5. Reply Craig Apr 18,2011 9:48 pm

Cheers mate been bugging me for a few days now to the point of me hitting google for an answer… fixed it a treat 😉

6. Reply den Nov 24,2011 1:32 pm

But not fix for me. 🙁

7. Reply Ajay Nov 24,2011 1:39 pm

@den,
    Try disabling all plugins and see if it works.
    If not then you will have to check the php files for any space after closing ?> towards the end.

8. Reply Ajay Nov 24,2011 1:41 pm

@Inksaint,
    If disabling plugin doesn’t solve the problem then try these.

you should be looking for extra space after last ?> in php files. Now you will have to figure out which php file.

I normally check all the php files in the root and then in the theme folder.

Such kind of error happens when you move your blog from one host to another or you upload any file using any ftp program.

9. Reply Sofie Mar 9,2012 9:32 am

Thank you so much for sharing this. With me the SEO plugin was causing the problem. After re installing it again went blank, so for now I will do without (find another solution), at least I can edit my posts again!

10. Reply Chris Jun 4,2012 7:28 pm

Thanks a lot, checking the recently edited php files for any spaces at the end – and deleting any – solved the problem.
    🙂

11. Reply Vince Dec 21,2012 4:35 pm

Pop-up Domination plugin is also causing the blank page. Currently, I am using version 3.5 of WordPress.

12. Reply Andrey Apr 4,2013 6:00 am